So I got a letter from National American Miss to attend "a free and invitation only" open call," meaning you drive all the way out to a city an hour away so they can blab at you about how great the pageant is while "accidentally" forgetting to bluntly mention the costs of enrollment and dresses and outfits and makeup and transportation and all that jazz.
Nevertheless, I doubt I'd even be able to convince my parents to support it even if I wanted to participate with all my heart. I'm not what you would call "popular." I am what you would call "introverted" and "quirky" and "nerdy" and "stressed" and many other adjectives that we've been told to appreciate throughout our lives but always tie to a negative connotation. The idea of this little teapot competing in a beauty pageant is almost as absurd as the idea of Of Mice and Men's "Lennie" making it into Harvard University, granted Lennie was in a position where he could apply to Harvard and all that. Despite my analogy complications, I feel as though you can understand my stance on this issue.
Now I'm not adding any sort of negative connotation to my body, my personality, or what have you. I'm simply stating what I am. Since you cannot see me physically, I find it best to describe myself as a teapot; short and stout. It's true; I'm 5'2" and 180-something pounds of teapot. These pageants are supposed to raise my confidence, but I fear competing against other girls with slim figures and angelic faces will only hinder my confidence. I am certainly not too confident to begin with, but I just fear of accidentally breaking the remains of my already somewhat shattered confidence.
Teapots like cuddling too.
No comments:
Post a Comment